Wednesday, February 9, 2011

When do bones cease to be creepy?
We never shield our eyes from the bright white
of the driest desert-punished remains,
but should a chunk still cling, blackened gristle with fur
we clutch our bellies, pinch our noses,
and turn our backs on the inevitable end.
When does flesh turn from muscle to food?
Is jerky still jerky when a rib lies within?
Boneless, skinless, white meat sans veins, blood and death.
Fish with heads cleanly removed and not a scale in sight.
I‘d like to see a DIY butcher shop.

What’ll it be today Frank?
I dunno, what do ya think, son? Pork chops?
Pig it is.
(enter Thursday night supper)
Here’s your hammer!

...I can’t do it son. I can’t do it.
That’s okay, Dad. I like carrots too.

We all dance delicately,
boned, gutted, skinned, and filleted.
Cleaned and packed.
Carefully put on ice next to a ubiquitous leaf of kale.

No comments:

Post a Comment